information on the go

information on BRAN 39

Re: information on the go

Postby earnestr35 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:10 pm

I hear Chadron could get a foot of snow on Thursday, we might not need tents this year...I hear snow igloos are pretty warm on the inside and we will be able to use a snow drift as a bike stand. :-) As for today 80 degree's...I think I will go for a ride!
earnestr35

Postby Missouri John » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 am

Happy Birthday Doug Martin! I'm hoping Your BRAN training is progressing well in spite of all the challenging weather we've had this year. Have you managed to get a century ride in yet? We had a rare good cycling day last Monday and I was able to get in a 103 miler :) . Even if it took me over 6 hours of riding time it was so enjoyable :!: Rick is coming down tomorrow and Monday and Tuesday are looking warm but windy so we should get in some good tandem training.
Missouri John

Postby Missouri John » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:47 am

earnestr35, I have actually slept in an igloo and it was quite cozy. :)
Missouri John

Postby DougMartin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 pm

I forgot you lived in Alaska for some time John. You beat me riding the century as the best I have done is 50 miles. It has been fairly cold on all my rides as I have been teaching during the nice weather. Since Easter is this coming weekend, I won't get in any riding so It will be about two weeks before I get a chance. I hope my first 100 mile day isn't the first day after Memorial Day, but if it is; it is. That is the day I will take off to Chadron. You will probably be doing 200 mile days at that time going across the US. Good luck and go strong both of you.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher
DougMartin

Postby Missouri John » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 am

Yes those jobs can certainly interfere with training at times, but I'm sure you'll do fine. I'll be hoping that you don't have to deal with 100 degree heat like we had last year. Rick and I had a very successful 225 mile training ride last Monday and Tuesday and are only going to need to make a few minor adjustments. We camped at Hunnewell Lake so we got to try out our sleep kit and everything performed quite well. My new lighting system is amazing! Even though we rode into a constant strong head or cross wind it was very beneficial training.
Missouri John

Postby DougMartin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:34 pm

How many hours per day are you two planning during the race? Knowing you, 15 to 20 hour days are quite possible. I am quite sure as the remaining distance gets shorter, your days will get longer. Good luck in your race; just the thought of your endeavor will make me ride stronger in BRAN this year.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher
DougMartin

Postby Missouri John » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:59 am

There are so many unknowns with this race especially since no one has ever raced it on a tandem before. 15 hours would be a good goal to shoot for but it will mostly depend on the conditions, and since we're a team it will also need to be a team decision. I'm sure you have your route all planed out by now. How many daily miles are you anticipating on your ride to Chadron? I'll certainly miss BRAN! So many great rides and so little time.
Missouri John

Postby DougMartin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:06 pm

I will ride from Lincoln to Ravenna (128 miles) the first day; then on to Thedford (118 miles); on to Alliance (123 miles) and then to Chadron (55 miles). This is mostly flat to small rollers; not the same as some of the hills we rode last year. All overnight towns have campgrounds, but as you know all I require is a picnic table to sleep on. Don’t know if I will have company but I have ridden many other times by myself. Enjoy your adventure and hope to hear all your stories during next years BRAN.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher
DougMartin

Postby Missouri John » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:44 am

Even if you don't have many hills to deal with that still looks like quite an ambitious plan! You'll also be very lucky if you don't encounter at least a day or two of head winds that will really slow you down, but I see that you've planned for your last day to be a shorter one which can be extended if you fall behind schedule.
Best of luck for a safe, enjoyable, ride and may the winds be kind to you.
Missouri John

Postby DougMartin » Sun May 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Frank, I have something come up and won't have the time to ride to Chadron by bike. Is it still possible to get a bus ticket? If not, I will find some other way to get there.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher
DougMartin

Postby branadmin2 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:18 pm

As far as I know there are a few tickets left. Would get one now.
branadmin2

Postby DougMartin » Tue May 07, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks Frank, just got the ticket so now I need to box up the bike. I may take off the paneer racks as I won’t be using them for the first time in 12 BRAN rides. The only other bus ride I took was to Broken Bow in about 2006. I am looking forward to meeting other BRAN riders on the bus.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher
DougMartin

Postby branadmin2 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:57 am

You will have a great time on the bus. Trudy and I will be on the first one as monitors.
branadmin2

Postby branadmin2 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 am

Final countdown. The BRAN books have been sent. We have had our last meeting. Busses have been rented as well as several trucks. For those taking the bus there are no tickets. We will have lists of the riders to check. Those trying to sneak on will be arrested . Remember the busses will load on the Midlands Hospital parking lot and you will directed as to where to leave you vehicle after you are given a release. We are trying to line up places to eat on the way. Granny and I have brought our lunch for many years. Remember if you are looking for me I am the really good looking guy. Oh yeah Granny wants you to know you WILL NOT BE ARRESTED.
branadmin2

Postby bobnride » Mon May 20, 2019 7:51 pm

Good. I really dont want be arrested. However, my planned carpool to Chadron has fallen through. Anyone that has room for passenger, bike and bags from Omaha to Chadron on June 1st, please contact me. Bobnride at 4026510158
bobnride

PreviousNext

Return to 39 updates