information on the go

information on BRAN 39

Re: information on the go

Postby Missouri John » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Sounds like a good route Doug! The Trans Am is now offering an alternate route this year that goes across Nebraska. It comes in on HWY 26, goes through Scottsbluff, joins the Lincoln HWY at Ogallala and departs at Omaha. Not sure we'll ride it but I'm sure several racers will use it. The weather's been nice here plenty of rain and not too hot.
Missouri John

Postby branadmin2 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:10 pm

So glad you will be with us again.
branadmin2

Postby DougMartin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:51 pm

John, I rode that route some time ago but was going north to Harrison. The route north seemed mostly uphill so your route would be fast if you take it. I am sure the Kansas route is also flat and fast also. One difference is the highway shoulder; the NE route will mostly have a wide shoulder while I don’t know about the KS highway. I have driven through Dodge City and didn’t like the traffic. You have some experience with the KS route so may wish to stay where it is familiar. Good luck to you and fellow riders.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher
DougMartin

Postby Missouri John » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am

I agree Doug, Nebraska would be a fast safe route, but the alternate also utilizes the Wabash Trace Nature Trail in Iowa and the Katy Trail in Missouri. I have rode these trails several times and they are flat, very scenic, and safe. They do seem to take a bit more effort to maintain the same speed and probably even more so with a tandem or if it would happen to be wet. I have rode across Kansas 4 times without an issue even through Dodge City once, but as you well know a cycling tragedy can happen anywhere and I'd have no regrets about missing Colorado. Hope you are getting in some good rides down in Arizona. It's been quite mild here, got to enjoyed a 30 mile ride yesterday. :D I was only able to ride 5,026 miles last year, but I'm sure I can beat that this year. :wink:
Missouri John

Postby DougMartin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:05 pm

You will get a major part of that mileage crossing the US. Your tours later in the summer will double your last year’s total. I have been riding every other day except when it is raining. I got in 47 miles yesterday before it rained. I got in about 300 miles in December and hope for a lot more in January. A lot of bikers are out on the weekends, and I met 60 to 70 yesterday traveling downhill as I was grinding my way uphill. A lot of them were in long, fast moving pace lines. I ride on Cave Creek Road and Pima Road. Both about 20 miles long with only about 3 stop lights each. The only time traffic is a problem is going under the 101 freeway where I will have traffic on both sides of me. Just have to use my mirror to move in, not under, cars wanting to go onto the freeway. The drivers out here seem very friendly to bikers. Can’t wait to ride in the Sand Hills this spring.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher
DougMartin

Postby branadmin2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 am

Trudy and I have been riding our spinner bikes in the basement 45 minutes at a time watching All Creatures Great and Small. We will start riding longer soon. This has prepared us to ride outside in the spring. Hope it will be better than last year. My conditioning for BRAN 38 was really bad. Am envious for all you guys getting in those miles.
branadmin2

Postby DougMartin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:23 pm

I am sure you and Trudy will be in fine shape for the Tour. Have you traveled the route this fall? The scenery around Chadron is so unlike the rest of the state. It is more like the foothills of the Rocky Mts. Then the route will travel east into cattle country where this spring’s calf crop will be in evidence everywhere. Further east we should see more farming and more small towns. Where I am training now, cars are constantly passing, but in some parts of this Tour riders won’t see anything but a few farm pickups on the road. I am getting anxious for June. Frank, thanks for all you and Trudy do to make BRAN a success.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher
DougMartin

Postby branadmin2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:22 pm

I am not on the route committee this year, which means we will not be visiting the towns. Since the Peddlars. Took over BRAN I became the treasurer for one year. That is enough for an old man. Just kidding a lazy old man. Still getting excited to see old friends and ride.
branadmin2

Postby Missouri John » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 am

You guys are amazing and are some of the very best examples of the many benefits of staying active!
Missouri John

Postby johnr » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:03 pm

I was looking forward to riding with you again this year Missouri John, but even more I'm looking forward to hearing all about your tandem adventure. Godspeed.

Bellingham John.
johnr

Postby Missouri John » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 am

So good to hear from you Bellingham John! I am really looking forward to our tandem adventure and since we well be entering uncharted waters as far as this race is concerned I'm sure we'll have many great stories to tell :!:
Missouri John

Previous

Return to 39 updates